Monday, May 13, 2013

I had an interview today...



I had an interview today for a graphic design internship over the summer.  After reading advice articles and having been through a couple other interviews, this is how I prepared:

1) Do the research.

I made sure I thoroughly looked over the company's website. I had to be passionate about who I was going to work for. While researching, I made sure I kept note of what questions I would want to ask the employers.

2) Ready portfolio.

I selected a few pieces from my portfolio that I really thought showed who I was as a designer. I also made sure that I selected pieces that spoke of my variance in my work. Example, I had an illustration piece, a piece that relied on typography for it's composition, a couple website mockups, a collection of my best logos, and a piece that was favored by the client to show I could accomplish what the client wanted.

3) Print any other important documents.

I gathered some important letters that I thought it would benefit for the company to see. I gave them my school acceptance letter, a letter announcing I had made the honor roll at my school, and a letter of recommendation from my current manager.


4) Bring a notebook.

I didn't take very many notes, but I thought it was a good idea to show I had brought a notebook to write down anything I might need to know. This makes you look like you are organized and well-together person.

5) Be confident and excited about what you are talking about.

I cracked some jokes and tried to show them what my personality was while being professional. I spoke confidently about what I knew and showed them that I was very passionate about my career choice.

6) What to wear?

I knew I was applying for a design position, so I wanted to wear something artsy and colorful, but still professional.
I went with a colorful patterned dress, flats, and a neutral gray blazer. I threw on some big bracelets, and curled/waved my hair. I basically looked like every graphic designer/mom blogger.

7) Arrive on time.

This is a given, but I arrived 15 minutes early.

*Pro-tip: Because I was interviewing with 5 staff members, I made 5 copies of all my documents and put them in folders. Each staff member had their own folder to look over.

Overall, I feel like it went pretty well. I was really nervous. It's a job I want really badly. I gave it my best shot though, so now it's up to them if I'm the right fit for the company.

I'll let you guys know!

No comments:

Post a Comment