Wednesday, June 26, 2013

I love unconventional design

While at the grocer's today, I almost bought some bottled water just because I really like the packaging. Fiji and Smart Water has some great design, but today I saw some new brands I liked. Wat-aah! This design is super fun, not minimalist or earthy. In fact, if you go the website (which is taking forever to load for me) the fonts almost look Comic-Sans-y? God forbid..



Also- Does anyone else have an opinion about Arizona's horrible PNG cutouts on all their 99cent drinks? Ok- I actually kind of love it. 
They have a ton of new products. (If you check out their site, they have some super sick music too.. All these pics are screen caps from their website.)
Their recent Rickey's product line is looking pretty snazzy. Busy and colorful.





I'll say this- I think brands like AriZona and Urban Outfitters and Trader Joe's, etc, are a really cool example of some very creative design. I think that it's really easy to get caught up in the whole minimalist, clean cut, simple type of design. Some people pull it off well, but I'm definitely more impressed with portfolios that are super unique with their own style while still looking great. 
I think minimalist design can be an easy way out, or extremely difficult for people. It's really hard for me to grasp simplicity. I naturally want to put a lot of effort into a piece, and usually that ends up in me over-doing it.
What's your opinion? (:


No comments:

Post a Comment